What if I’m not happy with my doctor?

Under the Florida Workers’ Compensation Law, the employer chooses all authorized treating physicians. However, if the employee is unhappy with their choice of treating physician, then they have a right to a one-time change in treating physician.

The employee must request this one-time change, usually in writing, and the employer has five days to select a new physician. If the employer selects the physician within five days, then the employer chooses the new physician. However, if the employer/carrier does not select a physician within five days, then the employee is entitled to select the treating physician.

Please note that you are only entitled to a change in treating physician for one time during the entire course of treatment. As such, at the Law Office of J.J. Talbott, we recommend that our clients do not select a change in treating physician early on in the case as it may be necessary to change doctors at a later date.