Do I have to keep paying alimony or child support if I lose my job? What if my ex-spouse remarries?

Although divorce decrees are final, it is possible to go back to court and ask the judge to modify them when a change in circumstances justifies a modification. For instance, the judge could increase, decrease or terminate a spousal support obligation or child support award in response to an increase or decrease in either party’s income or needs. The child custody and visitation arrangement could also be modified in the event one parent needs to relocate far away or out-of-state. Changes to child support or custody are only made if the judge determines a modification would be in the child’s best interest. Legal advice and representation is highly recommended when seeking or challenging a post-divorce modification.